This case started out as a decorative box from Michael’s Crafts store.  The original coverings were removed.  The exterior is leatherette and the interior 100% cotton velour over a cardboard and plywood structure.

My latest case effort is for my Buescher 400 cornet conversion project. Since the cornet is largely patterned after the Benge pocket trumpet, it came as no surprise to me that the 400 fit the Benge case. This gave me a few guidelines to follow before constructing this one from scratch, making design changes to better reflect the look of 1930s Buescher cases I have seen. An original Buescher metal tag provided the final touch.













This Conn Vocabell case was an attempt to duplicate the style and materials of the Conn slimline case of the 1930’s.  The box was built entirely from scratch using basswood, which was then covered in leatherette. An original Conn metal case medallion was the perfect final touch.









[Pocket Cornets Home] [Pocket Cornet Book] [Used Pockets for Sale] [About Pocket Cornets] [My Collection 1] [My Collection 2] [My Pocket Conversions] [Other Collectors' Pockets] [Modern Pockets] [Vintage Catalog Images] [Cases] [Original Cases] [Reproduction Cases] [Pocket Players] [Wanted to Buy] [Links] [Contact Me] [Appraisal Services] [Counterfeit Pockets] [PDF Articles] [New Pockets for Sale!]

The World’s Largest
Virtual Museum of the
Smallest Cornets and
Trumpets Ever Made!

After studying the few remaining original Conn Parlor cases, I designed this one to incorporate some of those features as well as elements seen in Conn cases from the late 1880’s – when this particular Parlor  cornet was made.





This 1885 Besson came with a rare original case, but I decided it was much too fragile to actually use.  I began with a vintage Selmer clarinet case, which was stripped of all covering and interior structure – a very time consuming process. I’ve concluded it’s far easier to make the box from scratch than to adapt other old cases.




I found a plain old wooden case, that was stripped of its covering and felt lining to become the basis of this practical case for my Besson MEHA reproduction.  Note provision for cornet and trumpet mouthpieces and their respective shanks.



As I developed my ability to fabricate the entire case from scratch, I decided to revisit the Besson case, and make one much more in keeping with the style Besson used in the 1880’s. It’s also somewhat smaller than my first attempt, reflecting the exceptionally small size of the cornet itself, even by “pocket instrument” standards.